Thursday, September 11, 2008

Trip Down Memory Lane in Shumway

Denham Windmill that pumps water to the pond.Grampy Denham's Tin Roof Shed
Beautiful Sunflowers
I miss Grampy's tulips.


A trip down memory lane for me when Julie and I went to Shumway.
Denham Mountain and the River Tree used to swing and jump in.
Watch out for water snakes.
Horses were always welcome in these fields and often Grampy had cattle. Oh, the memories of branding and castration.


Grampy's Catfish Pond

Stocked every year and you couldn't help but catch a big one with a hotdog or stinky bait. Would you swim in this water? We did as kids.

Wes and I fished here when newly engaged and had a fish fry with Grampy and Grammy.

Another view of the whole Denham mountain and Grampy's land.

The whole pasture would be under water when it rained hard and the flood water would cause many hours of mending fences.

Just to the West of this part of the land was the Indian Burial Ground. How I wish we had saved more pottery and arrow heads from endless searching and scary fun. Once I even fell about 4 feet when the burial cave under me gave away. I wasn't brave enough to crawl back in but we did find lots of pottery. Eventually some history/archeology people took over and we couldn't play there any more.
For Labor Day, Wes had to work on Saturday. On Sunday, Julie and I went to Shumway to help Kim go through Grammy's pictures. This was no easy or fun task! Grammy had always said she didn't want these books torn apart and that's what we were told to do or we wouldn't get any of our family's pictures. It was hard to do. I felt we betrayed Grammy's trust. I miss her so much. She would have loved this blog and the way we can so easily share pictures now. She was such a huge part of our family's life. I miss her covering one eye to get the perfect picture because of her blindness from the detached retina. I miss visiting for holidays and especially Grampy's Gunny and the whole house decorated for Christmas and the family all together. Hopefully she'll smile as we remake the books for our families and bring them to life again.

The fun part of this weekend was traveling with Julie and learning the rest of the story about Jared. I'll keep you posted:)

1 comment:

The Gag-nears said...

okay- I miss a few days and am totally behind on your life! I am jealous you got to go to Shumway! Love the pics. They totally bring me to tears of the fun times we had! I totally remember the arrow heads and pottery in those ruins. As a kid arrow heads were just arrowhead but now that I am grown up that was WaY COOL! We took our treasures for granted!