Monday, December 6, 2010

Day 1-December without Wes

Ok so Wes left yesterday, December 5th while we were in Sacrament. He had to fly to CA for the prelaunch set up. The launch is scheduled for Feb. and we recently found he'd be leaving in Dec. but 12 days the last weeks the kids are in school means he misses every concert and event they are involved in. He will be home for Christmas and has a job so we are grateful. That doesn't make being a single Mom to our 6 for Christmas any easier. He'll be home Friday the 17th after we get home from the Ward Christmas Party.
That said, the adventure has begun! While at church yesterday I received a new calling to be the Nursery Leader. Shhh, I'm not sure when I'll be put in with Wes gone another week. Not sure yet how I feel about it, although I accepted and will do my best. I have been Ben's Sunbeam teacher for the last year, along with Scout Advancement Chair, and I will miss him dearly. Who else will be so gentle with his antics and what will the kids do without snack time? He won't do well if they can't get a permanent teacher without many substitutes. I am worried also about not seeing my others in Primary and having that connection anymore. I don't have a child in Nursery and am pretty sure I never will again so this seems a strange time for me to be taken away from the rest of my kids. Now, don't get me wrong... Brother Rappleye extended the call to me by saying that the old Bishopric had prayed about this and felt good and when it was changed a few weeks ago to Bishop Peterson, Brother Pitney and Brother Rappleye, they prayed about it and also felt this is where I'm supposed to be. This was his first call and he said he was as nervous as me:) I am working on that confirmation for myself. Kind of hard to think of when I had just taken the pictures of my Sunbeams for their ornaments for their parents and was so excited to teach them about Christmas and get their little gifts of their own picture of Jesus. I love my Sunbeams! I hope they will go to good hands.
Also at church Dallin came and got me out of Sharing Time to see him put in as the 1st Assistant to the Bishop of the Priest Quorum. It was a beautiful blessing and I wish Wes could have heard it. He was told to study the scriptures and have fervent daily prayer and that this call would help prepare him for his mission.
Before Wes left on Saturday we did the big put up Christmas and we are still working on the tree. I love Christmas and the lights and the decorations! Each one has a story and I love our full tree with the story it tells of the events for our family. This year the kids voted on the tree top star and Ben won with the colored star even though the rest of the tree is mainly red and gold. Josh wanted gold and so did I but the rest of the kids won the vote:) It is so peaceful to me to sit and just have the tree lit and just ponder for a while. I love the Christmas devotionals I'm trying to do each night we can from our little 24 days of Christmas book. I hope the stories are applied in my children's lives and that they feel the Spirit. That's my goal with trying to pull them together each night.
So, today was Uncle Wesley Chester Gurney's funeral. He is Mom Gardner's brother and was living with Grandma and Karen. He was 73 and Mom is 72. It was peaceful in his sleep. It was strange going alone to this service. There was a family viewing at 9 and then a graveside service at 11. I learned so much about who he was. He was afraid of people until he felt comfortable and our large crew scared him off usually, so we didn't see him much or know him well. Karen told of people he had helped and the animals he loved and he was a sweet man. It has been so hard on Mom and Karen and Grandma. Grandma is 92 and I just think a parent shouldn't ever have to bury a child, no matter what the age. It was nice to be with the family and have a mini reunion of sorts and reconnect. Alex Pena kept Ben all day and Ben played at the Tropica Mango Nursery that he owns. Ben loves watering trees and playing in the sandbox there. I ran some errands in Mesa and barely made it back to get Jarom from school, pick up Ben, run kids home and then get Brennen and Brookly and then gas. Daliln has the truck with Wes gone so I was minus that run today and he picked up Josh for me from Honor Society meeting at 4:45pm. I was exhausted from late nights and stress and could not keep my eyes open sitting up at the table at 4:30 so I laid down and Dallin picked up Josh for me. I woke up at 4:50 but it was nice to lay down for a moment. Then it was dinner, clean up a bit and try to do FHE. We read 2 Christmas stories because we missed the days we were up late putting up lights and at the parade. It seemed to go well and pretty calm but when Wes called and I told kids to get in jammies so we could decorate the gingerbread cookies, that I made last night for Jarom's class and for us, Dallin and Josh had an all out war. They both have different stories and say they didn't do anything but they were quite loud and Wes heard it all. Dallin was on top of Josh when I came in and Josh had thrown things and a chair at Dallin. Who knows the real story but I just don't know how to handle these times. I sent them both to their rooms and they missed our little gingerbread cookies. The rest went to bed ok except for Ben who wanted a bath and didn't get one tonight. He loves to play for a while and it was bedtime. He'll have to have a fast bath tomorrow before preschool.
Mom Sheppard called today to catch up for a moment and Julie went in for the in vitro procedure today and they did get 8 good eggs so we are hopeful that she will get pregnant after over a year of trying. Our prayers are with so many!
Officially now trying to get into bed for the end of Day 1. It's 10:11pm so that's a good day.

No comments: