Saturday, December 11, 2010

Day 6-Fun at Pena's

So we slept in a little and slowly got started on cleaning the house. Dallin left early for a Band Festival and the kids ate breakfast and began to get ready.
I came to the computer and found a playlist of songs that I didn't recognize so I began checking the lyrics to them. The boys said they are songs Dallin downloaded from youtube. Not one of them was acceptable. They all had profane, suggestive, aggresive or very depressive lyrics. Now, he did this without permission, put it on our computer, his ipod and then Brennen had put them on his because "it was Dallin's list so it must be cool songs".

I didn't know quite what to do so I texted Wes and deleted the songs off our computer and off of Brennen's mp3 and turned to For The Strength of Youth.

"Music is an important and powerful part of life. It can be an influence for good that helps you draw closer to Heavenly Father. However, it can also be used for wicked purposes. Unworthy music may seem harmless, but it can have evil effects on your mind and spirit.

Choose carefully the music you listen to. Pay attention to how you feel when you are listening. Don’t listen to music that drives away the Spirit, encourages immorality, glorifies violence, uses foul or offensive language, or promotes Satanism or other evil practices."

Scary that each song on his playlist went against this. He is constantly listening to his iPod and I loved the recent entry to our family blog by Jeff that talked about taking time to listen to the Spirit and not always listening to other music or radio. I told Dallin about Jeff's story just yesterday. I'm just not sure how to handle this alone. I will pray for more guidance before I talk to him. That's 3 major things this week for Dallin. A cry out for attention with Wes gone? I just don't know how much more I can take. And he keeps bringing his brothers in to these gray areas as he sees it. I am worried.


"There is no better time than now, this very Christmas season, for all of us to rededicate ourselves to the principles taught by Jesus the Christ.” —President Thomas S. Monson

I got a call from Tami to have the boys come help bring back the chairs and tables they had borrowed and she said she'd like to chat if I had a minute. Well, we all went down and stayed all afternoon and played and had a great time! Much needed break! We are blessed to have such good friends! We brought the chairs home eventually and I ran to Costco and we ate dinner then we went back to the Pena's for a fire. While home I did make the kids clean up a bit for Sunday. They did their work pretty cheerfully since they were anxious to go to Pena's. The big boys went to buy fireworks and then Dallin left for a surprise party with his friends. Then they came to Pena's with us. The kids were playing ball and Caillou got hurt so he and Alex hung out in the bedroom for a while but he did come join us for marshmallows and played Farkle with the kids before we left after 10pm. What a fun day!
Wes wants to talk to Dallin tomorrow. Wes finished his homework in time tonight and was exhausted from working early this morning and doing homework all evening. He has to work again tomorrow so we'll talk to him tomorrow night before Brookly's performance with the Stake.

No comments: