Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Women's Conference!







Wow! After a few hours of sleep, Dad dropped Julie and I off at Adrian's apartment to drive to Provo. Luckily Mom had read the paper and found us an awesome route around the traffic to get there. Notice the snow on the mountains on the way! It was beautiful! I was toasty in Julie's coat and even too toasty when I began the trek to my classes. We had an incredible opening with Sheri Dew and it was announced that our prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, would be the closing speaker. I was edified and spiritually filled all day. I went to a class on Enjoying the Role of Young Motherhood and was reminded to find joy in the journey, read scriptures more often and invite the spirit into our home.

Then I ran to save a place for Julie and Adrian at Randy Bott's class. After it started and I still didn't see them I went out to look. They had bought our lunch and found seats in the front. Oh, the joys of not knowing why my text messaging doesn't immediately come up. We connected and I moved by them. I then was enraptured by Randy Bott, Wes's mission President. The first speaker in this class was interesting but a little long on the topic of her Doctorate dissertation. Then Brother Bott's message of humor mixed with the doctrine of grace taught as only he can (if you ever have the chance to hear him speak or take his Doctrine & Covenants institute class-Do it!) was a refreshing change. He taught that you don't have time NOT to be still. D & C 101:16. He gave insight to parts of the temple and I felt the spirit testify of eternal truths. I hope to get a copy of his talk.

I ate quickly and ran down the innumerable stairs to the Smith Fieldhouse. Then I went to one of my favorite authors, Emily Watts. Because I stopped to eat, imagine that, I was late finding a seat. Several girls form my ward were there and happened to have a seat by them. Thanks Emily, Randi and Michelle! It was a great class and fun to hear Sister Watts in person. I learned many things about adversity and getting through it. She recommended a talk by Carlfred Broderick called "The Uses of Adversity" and wouldn't you know it - my Dad had it and copied the talk for me. It was very interesting to see the whole background of the talk. I was inspired again to find joy in the journey.

After this full day I raced back up to the Marriot Center to hear Brother and Sister Bateman speak on temple worship. We should model our homes after the temple-1. Quiet voices. 2. Trained in responsibilies. 3. Begin every day with prayer and end with prayer. 4. Everyone should be treated with kindness. 5. Establish a house of order. What an incredible day!



No comments: