Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Last week of school!!


Bright and early after 3 hours of sleep, at 4am Monday, Wes left for Alaska for the week to work.  Because of fog that wouldn't lift, he didn't arrive in Kodiak until about 5pm Tuesday night.  He had to spend the night in Anchorage.  Crazy!  We are praying the fog lifts for him to come home on time tomorrow.
In the meantime we had a Little League Championship game for Jarom.  While his team took 2nd place we felt he was a winner because of his determination and cheerful attitude throughout the season.  He was a great encourager and he enjoyed playing.  The kids and I went Tues. night to watch him and the other team literally had about a hundred people there to cheer and they were all in their red shirts.  I had on my Gardner Fightin Irish shirt:)  The other team, Red Raiders, had been having 4 hours of practice at a time as compared to our Fightin Irish practices of 1 1/2 hours.  Jarom learned some good basic skills and we'll see if he wants to continue next year.  He was so fun to watch out there with his ready stance and he caught a few great pop flys in outfield. 
Jarom's LLtrophy

 Tired and windblown we had fun supporting our Jarom!
Ben really didn't want a picture and was tired and ready to go to bed.

Jarom's awards from class.  Mrs. Hall had a difficult time choosing which one to give Jarom since she said he could have had at least 12 different awards.  The paper on the right is a list of the nice things people in his class said about him and the award is for being a Bookworm and reading 158,527 words this year.  He was in ELP which is the accelerated learning program for Mesa schools and he had a great year being the top of his class in almost every subject. 


In all the excitement, on Tues night Jarom also pulled out his own tooth so the toothfairy had to visit. It's the bottom right looking at this picture but hard to see.



Today was an emotional day for me.  It is the official last day of Ben and I home alone.  I began to analyze the time we spent this year and felt guilty for all the things we didn't do and then I remembered the blessing that Preschool twice a week and extra fieldtrips together was for us.  Amidst the hours of Netflix for Ben and the hundreds of appointments he was drug along to, was the fun and learning that I had hoped could happen together this year.  We had so many fun memories together and lots of pictures to prove it.
So today I asked Ben what he wanted to do after we went to Walmart for Josh new shoes and the promised doughnut for Ben for breakfast since he woke up late and was soaked and needed a quick bath before carpool so no time for breakfast... come on, admit you've been there too.  So he told me he wanted to go to the park. We went to the park and after an hour in the sun and getting a bit sunburned I suggested we end at McDonald's for lunch.  We went to McDonald's and he got his Happy Meal and played for a while as I actually fell asleep in the stall.  He loved it!  While at the swings I told him I would really miss him next year. He quickly said, "You're going to have fun by yourself." I asked him what I was going to do and he said I could do puzzles.  Funny boy!  I'll do puzzles in his classroom helping I'm sure.  I do have a ToDo list that outnumbers days in a year but I may just take some much needed naps and catch up on scrapbooking, blogging,etc for a while.  We have a long summer of all of them home so we'll see what happens.  Tomorrow is the golden last day!  I will have my friend's kids to babysit so today was my last alone day with Ben.   I've been babysitting her 2 kids during the week for the last month to help her until her babysitter get out of school. Boy do I realize how free I am without such a little one anymore.  What a difference between my "baby" Ben and this 2 year old!  I realize how big he is and how fast they grow.   
Along with the emotions of losing my baby to Kindergarten came the news that our neighbor's son passed away. Pete Bonnett. He was 25.  Her 9 year old who's a dear friend of Jarom's found his brother Sunday morning and thought he was asleep.  Wow.  It made me hug each child a little tighter and remember why it's all worth it. 
We also got a wedding announcement today for my cousin. 
And news that our dear friend and neighbor Leah Pittman has sold her house and will be moving in 2 weeks.  She has become an adopted Grandma since her husband passed away and we frequently have her to dinner and part of our family events and love her. 
Also got a call from Mom Sheppard that one of the family reunion days in July we have to be seen in a swimsuit...now that's motivation to get back on the diet:)
So there's always a lot going on in the adventures of the Gardner household.  Many more things happen in a day but I'm the alarm clock for tomorrow and I've got to get to bed after falling asleep in public today.  That's another thing I've got to get checked out.  Wes has a CPAP machine now and seems to be adjusting to better sleep but mine is getting worse and our sweet Jarom having nightmares and coming in every night around 3am to sleep in our room makes it difficult to rest well.  Ben and Brookly are in my bed tonight to start with Wes gone and Jarom will come in later I'm sure. I just am too light of a sleeper. 
I did take a peek at some summer reading I'd like to do.  The 3rd of the Hourglass Door series is coming out and I'd like to start Beyonders and Fablehaven and several of my new spiritual books.:) I love the library to get these!

No comments: