Thursday, July 31, 2008

Tonight I Want To Cry

My Mom always said that "Mom's are only as happy as their saddest child" and this week I sure know what she meant. Kids can be so mean and say the meanest things. Brookly came home hurt from some rude comments made by older girls from Achievement Days about her laughing, Dallin has rude comments made ongoing from some of his "closest" friends about his weight (more happened today) and Brennen came home from a birthday party today devastated that back in Oct. 2007 for his birthday, we had taken his friends to Makutu's Island and then to McDonald's -instead of Amazing Jakes and that was "dumb" according to his friends. Brennen had such sad tears and I just felt like crying with all of them! I know kids say things they don't mean and that every kid gets this... but this is kids from our ward - they haven't even started school yet!!! What is a mother to do? I felt like giving more than just a good talking to, to a few kids today, (Not my own) I tell you what!!
Just wanted to vent and then I can go back to loving everyone.
I remember older kids being harder on me than younger so I think I'll just try to teach my kids to be careful that they aren't the ones doing the same thing to others. I am the first to admit my kids are not perfect but I sure want to defend them today! I guess that's why I have felt so sad all day - my kids hurting and Wes working until after midnight:(

Another note: After much prayer and weighing all the pros and cons Wes turned down the job offer of the new exciting rocket, Taurus II. Mainly because he'd be working ground support (the computers that run the rocket from the ground) and he's worked for years to get off ground support and get experience on the vehicle (the actual rocket) and he is on the vehicle for the Minotaur Program that he's on now. He felt honored to be asked but it wasn't more money or any great incentive to change his dream of different opportunities there. There is really no benefit either way for the need to travel coming in the next year. We dread this part of it all. This was still a very emotional decision and we went back and forth for a few days. Sometimes the Lord let's us wrestle and decide for ourselves what we should do and then the peace comes.
All this and I'm out of Dove!

2 comments:

The Gag-nears said...

I want to cry too after reading that post. What will I say when Ryan comes home with the same tales? He is so sensitive and innocent. Can't we just protect them and never let them out of our sight. (Finding Nemo moment) You are the best mom and I feel for you here sis. What do you say? What do you do? I am sure Heavenly Father wants to punch people when they are mean to his children too. It is just so lucky that your kids have a wonderful mom to tell them how wonderful they are - some kids don't even have that. You're the best and you tell those kids that if they ever have a bad day to call aunt Becca and she will tell them how wonderful they are in a jiffy! I will also personally come down there and give a Mamma Sheppard talking to to those kids.

Phil and Stacie said...

So been there, too. I think that's one of the hardest parts of parenting for me.
I'm so sad we haven't gotten together! I've had sick kids over here this last week of summer vacation. Maybe we can try on a day the kids have off school sometime--or even after school, maybe. My kids get out early on Thursdays. How about yours?