Saturday, October 24, 2015

What Jesus Christ's Atonement Means to Me

I loved starting in 2 Nephi 9 this week and reflecting on the Atonement and what it means to me.  The First Presidency and apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints shared their declaration to the world of “The Living Christ” in 2000.
 They said, “We offer our testimony of the reality of His matchless life and the infinite virtue of His great atoning sacrifice. None other has had so profound an influence upon all who have lived and will yet live upon the earth.
“He was the Great Jehovah of the Old Testament, the Messiah of the New. …“
He instituted the sacrament as a reminder of His great atoning sacrifice. He was arrested and condemned on spurious charges, convicted to satisfy a mob, and sentenced to die on Calvary’s cross. He gave His life to atone for the sins of all mankind. His was a great vicarious gift in behalf of all who would ever live upon the earth.
“We solemnly testify that His life, which is central to all human history, neither began in Bethlehem nor concluded on Calvary. He was the Firstborn of the Father, the Only Begotten Son in the flesh, the Redeemer of the world” (“The Living Christ: The Testimony of the Apostles,” Ensign, Apr. 2000, 2–3)

I have deeply pondered on this lately and love that His life, “neither began in Bethlehem nor concluded on Calvary.”  His perfect life is the example I want to follow.   He is central to my life as well as all human history.  I find that as I follow His teachings I am blessed with joy in everyday life.  Our family isn’t perfect and we just keep trying but when we invite the Savior in through prayer I find that He is always there and I “am encircled about eternally in the arms of his love,” just as Nephi.  (2 Nephi 1:15) I am able to handle what I need to with more patience and love as he did. 

President James E. Faust (1920–2007) of the First Presidency declared the importance of our understanding the power of the Atonement:     “Our salvation depends on believing in and accepting the Atonement. Such acceptance requires a continual effort to understand it more fully. The Atonement advances our mortal course of learning by making it possible for our natures to become perfect. …
“… Any increase in our understanding of His atoning sacrifice draws us closer to Him. Literally, the Atonement means to be ‘at one’ with Him. The nature of the Atonement and its effects is so infinite, so unfathomable, and so profound that it lies beyond the knowledge and comprehension of mortal man. …”   
I may not fathom all that the Atonement means but I want to be “at one” with Christ every day.  I feel like Jacob, the brother of Nephi, who exclaimed, “O the wisdom of God, his mercy and grace!...O how great the goodness of our God, who prepareth a way for our escape from the grasp of this awful monster; yea, that monster, death and hell, which I call the death of the body, and also the death of the spirit…O how great the plan of our God! O the greatness and the justice of our God!  For he executeth all his words, …and his law must be fulfilled. O the greatness of the mercy of our God, the Holy One of Israel, (meaning Christ)O how great the holiness of our God! For he knoweth all things and there is not anything save he knows it. …For the atonement satisfieth the demands of justice upon all those who have not the law given to them.”  (2 Nephi 9: 8, 10, 13, 17, 19, 20, 26)  Jacob says that this same loving Savior is the “keeper of the gate … and he employeth no servant there.”  Our judge will be just for, “He cannot be deceived.” (v.41)  He who knows us intimately and suffered for all our sorrow and sin knows our heart and cannot be deceived so our judgment will be perfect from him. 

Jacob writes how much he delights in righteousness and that his, “soul abhorreth sin.”  This is something we strive for as we daily repent and know that there is hope in the atonement for all.  Jacob invites us to, “Come my brethren, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters…do not spend money for that which is of no worth…hearken diligently unto me, and remember the words which I have spoken; and come unto the Holy One of Israel, and feast upon that which perisheth not…” Christ is this living water and when we come to Him we are truly filled. I know He lives and loves me.  I know He is my Savior and that because of his Atonement I can be truly clean and return to live with Him with my family.  I know that through Him we all will be resurrected and have the chance at eternal life with Him if we follow and obey his teachings.  I love my Savior.  I know He loves me.  I know He loves my children and husband and all of you.  His love is individual and real.  Ask Him.  He’ll answer.   I leave these thoughts with you in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: