Saturday, October 10, 2015

Joy in Everyday

In my study of The Book of Mormon this week I studied 1 Nephi 15-22.  I am loving the immersion into the scriptures and I feel like I am getting my own MTC (Missionary Training Center) experience. 
In Chapter 15 Nephi tells us that his brothers were disputing over what their father Lehi had shared with them from his vision.  Nephi says his father's words, "were hard to be understood, save a man should inquire of the Lord." (1 Nephi 15:3)  In the same chapter he asks them, "Have ye inquired of the Lord?" (vs. 8)  What a wonderful question for us!  When things seem difficult to understand that we have heard are we turning to the One who knows all?  I know He hears and answers us.  It may be we have to be patient or even that the answer is "no" but I do believe , "...that all things work together for good to them that love God," (Romans 8:28) 
Nephi goes on to explain that Israel will be gathered and know the "knowledge of their Redeemer and the very points of his doctrine, that they may know how to come unto him and be saved." (vs. 14) The Book of Mormon Institute Manual teaches us who the house of Israel is, "'The house of Israel' generally refers to the descendants of Jacob, whose name was changed to Israel in the Old Testament (see Genesis 32:27–28). In the Book of Mormon the Savior expanded this definition to include not only the literal descendants of Israel (see 3 Nephi 20:25–27) but also all Gentiles who repent, are baptized, and come unto Christ (see 3 Nephi 21:6)."
So that's us.  We can come to this knowledge is we ask.  
Nephi continues to plead with his brothers to, "give heed unto the word of the Lord; yea, I did exhort them with all the energies of my soul, and with all the faculty which I possessed," to give heed and to keep the commandments.  (1 Nephi 15:25)  He loves them and wants them to be happy.  He explains the vision of the tree of life that his father had and that Nephi prayed to know the meaning of.  By Chapter 16 his brothers and frustrated and still don't ask for themselves.  They claim that Nephi ,"hast declared unto us hard things, more than we are able to bear," (16:1)  and Nephi says, "the guilty taketh the truth to be hard, for it cutteth them to the very center." (vs. 3)  I want to be sure that when I think something is hard to do that the Lord commands through his prophet and apostles that I repent and work on my attitude.  
When Lehi's family prepares to journey farther in the wilderness they get ready first and then are given a, "round ball of curious workmanship...of fine brass.  And within the ball were two spindles; and the one pointed the way whither we should go into the wilderness," (16:10) So they first had the faith to follow what the Lord commanded and then were given help to do so.  They find out that the ball, or Liahona, only works when they are faithful.  Nephi comments, "thus we see that by small means the Lord can bring about great things." (vs. 29)  So many times in my life it has been something small that has brought blessings or joy.  Following a prompting from the spirit to call a friend, listening when truth is taught, spending time with a child are examples of how small things have been a blessing in my life as well as theirs. 
I love the attitude of Nephi through all the writings we have of him.  He is positive and looks to the Lord for strength and continues to praise Him.  In 1 Nephi 16:8 Nephi says, "I, Nephi, had been blessed exceedingly."  He is referring to his new wife.  What a wonderful attitude towards marriage and family he has.  Nephi says, "so great were the blessings of the Lord upon us," (17:2) referring to women being made strong to bear and nurse children in the wilderness.  After he is led by the Lord to build a boat and bound by his brothers who have had enough of his goodness, and a storm rages for four days he is finally released and he says, "I did look unto my God, and I did praise him all the day long..." (18:16)  Compare Nephi to his brothers who complain and say of their wives bearing children in the wilderness, "if would have been better that they had died before they came out of Jerusalem than to have suffered these afflictions." (1 Nephi 17:20) and then in verse 21, "we might have been happy."  I thought about that for a while.  Nephi is valiant, trying to do what's right and loves his brothers enough to want them to follow God as well and even when he is abused by them he still praises God.  I want to be like Nephi.  I want to find joy in the here and now.
Nephi shares why he writes these things in chapter 19.  He says, "And I, Nephi, have written these things unto my people, that perhaps I might persuade them that they would remember the Lord their Redeemer." (19:18) and, "I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning." (19:23)
Nephi goes on to share his thoughts on Isaiah in chapters 20-21 and I loved why he does this.  He says, "I will liken his words unto my people, and I will send them forth unto all my children, for he verily saw my Redeemer, even as I have seen him." (2 Nephi 11:2-3) He wants his children, and us, to have hope and know where to turn to find the source of that hope.  He saw Christ and loves the similar testimony of Isaiah who also saw Christ.  
There were several verses in these quoted Isaiah chapters that stood out to me.  The one I want to share is 1 Nephi 20:10: "For, behold, I have refined thee, I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction" was the first that touched me as I thought of my challenges and personal struggles.  It's almost been a year, October 18, 2015, since I fell on the way to the Phoenix Temple Open House with my family and broke both legs.  It has been a difficult and long recovery with several complications.  I am gaining motion a little at a time and the pain is slowly decreasing.  I feel this has been a purifying furnace for me and my family.  I want to be a disciple of Christ and realize that my suffering cannot compare to his.  I will continue to look for joy everyday and try to be more like Nephi.

No comments: